Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hoppy Easter

Hello! Long time no post. Please forgive me. We have felt a bit under the weather for a while, but we are back up and running just in time for Easter. Since I left you all hanging for a while, I thought I would post two Easter ideas together to make up for it. For weeks, I have seen these chocolate eggs all over the place. You know, the ones you can buy and then they put someone's name on it for you. Can you believe how much they charge for these? It is crazy. So, I have three flavors you can make quickly, affordably, and personally for all your little honey bunnies. Have a wonderful Easter and come back soon. I have a spring cake recipe that will knock your socks off!! (It's from my Mom, so you know it'll be good!)
The large egg in this picture is filled with homemade marshmallow. You may remember that recipe from a Christmas post at http://rebeccassweetescapes.blogspot.com/2009/12/marshmallow-mania.html. I just made the same recipe and then cut out my eggs with a egg shaped cookie cutter. I sprayed the pan with Pam first so they would come out easily. THen I just refrigerated them until they were cool and covered them in melted chocolate. (Tip: Add a little bit of shortening to your chocolate chips when you melt them and it will coat your eggs thinner and more smoothly.)
The smaller eggs are my Oreo truffle recipe also from Christmas but formed as eggs. Here is the link: http://rebeccassweetescapes.blogspot.com/2009/12/cookie-dough-truffles.html.
The last flavor is peanut butter, which is definitely a favorite of mine. The only difference between these and the ones you get at the store is that you can make these as big as you want!!
Here is the simple recipe for those! (This recipe is from a Paula Deen Magazine from a few years ago.)
Peanut Butter Eggs
1/4 Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
Melt butter and brown sugar in the microwave until brown sugar is dissolved. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate until set. Shape into eggs and cover in melted chocolate.
One last tip: I use frosting to decorate and put names on these. Melted chocolate would be too hard to control.
Obviously, Dad's didn't last that long, but boy did he like the marshmallow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment